WordPress Flickr Manager v1.2.1

Well I just got back from my Christmas break and started to follow up the feedback I received while I was away. This led to several bug fixes and a few changes, one of which being you now simply click on the photo and it will be inserted into tinyMCE rather than drag and drop. Although drag-drop will still function, if you want the image to be wrapped in it’s associated link as stated in the Flickr Community Guidelines just click on the image once you’ve selected your size.

A few bugs have been resolved such as when trying to upload or browse photos with a low privileged account returned “Unauthorized Access“. A problem with the Flickr panel not maintaining the current page after changing the image size has also been fixed. If you find any other bugs please let me know.

As usual the updated version can be found at the WordPress extend page.

Download WordPress Flickr Manager Version 2.0.4

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to WordPress Flickr Manager v1.2.1

1. Bill Burcham says:

The plugin is filling a void left by the new Yahoo Shortcuts Plugin. The Yahoo one only finds CC licensed photos. If I want to embed my own photo, the Yahoo plugin won’t do it unless that photo has a CC license. D’oh!

On the other hand I value the attribution markup and presentation that the Yahoo plugin embeds with the photo.

Your plugin allows me to embed my own flickr photos regardless of licensing terms (good!). However I cannot search outside my flickr account for photos created by other members.

So I’d like the best of both worlds: find my images and those of other flickr members; embed those images in a blog post along with attribution and licensing terms where applicable. That would be ideal.

Oh and one more thing 🙂 It sure would be great if your plugin could include the ability to do pluggable searches somehow. For instance I use colrpickr to find flickr photos by color. I’d like to then embed those images into blog posts using your plugin.

2. Hey Bill,

Download the beta of 1.3.0 at the bottom of this comment and let me know how it goes, i.e what problems or suggestions etc. I think it should actually do everything you wanted apart from pluggable searches.

WordPress Flickr Manager v1.3.0b1

3. dalton says:

Hey, I love that new filter feature! Excellent.

4. Bill Burcham says:

Oh yeah Trent. That’s just the ticket. I installed 1.3.0b1 and now I can search public photos and drop ’em in with automatic attribution and license terms. Sweet. Thanks!

5. dalton says:

Hey Trent,
    I installed 1.3.0 (downloaded from WordPress Extend site) and still get the “Unauthorized Access” error from an account set up as an Author.

I am running WP 2.3.2 and using Firefox.

Cheers,
    Dalton

6. Hey dalton,
    Redownload it from WordPress extend and if you have anymore dramas let me know.

7. Tuckie says:

I have the problem with the Unauthorized access as well, with the admin account
    also, I am unable to have more than one image per line in a post, and alignment around a picture has no effect, any ideas? (using 1.3.0)

8. Tuckie,
    To fix the unauthorized access bug download this version here.

You should be able to fit as many of your personal photos in 1 line as you want. However, with public photos they include attribution to the author on the line below.

As for your alignment issue, what happens when you when you try to align a photo left or right?

9. Trent, I can browse fine. but I am still having problems with the upload tab.

I am using this version : http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/wordpress-flickr-manager.zip

It is labelled as 1.3.0.

I am self hosted, and I have a flickr pro.

The permissions in flickr are listed as : Flickr Manager “delete”

Under the uploaded tab it says “unauthorized”.

I do not know what is meant by “low privileged”. I have it all self hosted and authorized in flickr apps.

Anything I can do to resolve this?

Thanks,
    Chris.

10. tobi says:

Hey,

this plugin sounds nice but it doesn’t work on my 2.3.1 WP Installation. I authenticated myself correctly and when I click on “Upload” or “Browse” nothing happens?! no matter if the radio button is set to public or private.

Any suggestions?

11. Tuckie says:

Thanks for the update. So it now aligns fine if I use the built in photo insert tool (on the edit page, and now works), but if I use the [img:x,x] format, it won’t align correctly. Also, I am able to upload photos under the manage>flickr section, but not under write > write post, I get “unauthorized access” (but, again, browsing photos on the same page now works fine)

12. Hrmm well there was something up with the upload form not correctly determining your user levels, so now I’m trying a different method. So please try re-downloading it from wordpress extend

O and Tuckie, I just noticed that it’s wrapping [img:x,x] images in a div block, I’ll make a note and patch it in the next update.

Thanks.

13. Thanks for the new version. however, I can still only browse existing photos. I cleared my FTP and uploaded the new folder. I have cleared my cache also.

I still receive the Unauthorized Access message on the upload tab.

(I am on WP 2.3.2, Firefox 2.0.0.11. Windows hosting.)

Thanks,
    Chris.

14. tobi says:

Hey,

thanks for the quick help, but unfortunately it’s still not working. Same as before. I can see the new field beneath my Editor but nothing happens when I click on Upload or Browse. Perhaps its a conflict with other plugins I use? I use the Imageshack uploader which adds a new tab to the Upload field and I use a GUI for the custom fields (rc:custom_field_gui).

tobi

15. tobi says:

I deactivated those plugins and its still not working…

16. tobi,
    When you click on browse photos, is a little loading image inserted? If not, are you getting any javascript errors? What browser are you using?

Trent.

17. Hi Chris,
    Finally I was able to duplicate your issue on a windows server. I think I’ve fixed it now, well at least on my test server, can you try re-downloading it and let me know if it worked.

Thanks for the info, it makes the process so much easier.

Trent.

18. Christian says:

Hi, I just installed WordPress 2.3.2.

1. I uploaded WordPress-Flickr-Manager (1.3.0) to the right folder,
    2. I did activate it,
    3. When trying to authenticate with Flickr through `Options->Flickr` I get this message:

“Fatal error: Call to undefined function: curl_init() in /mnt/web2/40/55/51659455/htdocs/blog/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-flickr-manager/flickr-operations.php on line 20”

Help is appreciated, thanks!
    Christian

19. Christian,
    You need to install CURL on your web host.

20. tobi says:

Hey,

no, there is no loading image visible. The address in the address bar of Firefox (2.0.0.11 on Mac OS X Tiger (same result when using Safari…)) just changes to: …wp-admin/post-new.php#?faction=browse but nothing else happens. I do not get any javascript errors. Is this plugin supposed to looknfeel like the widgets in WordPress, with that grey overlay? Because this works fine on my WP Installation and the browser I use…

tobi

21. Hey tobi,
    What you’re describing is the javascript not working i.e. it’s not catching the links. It’s all AJAX so at no point should your URL change. Also, are you trying to click the links before the page has finished loading? Because all links are prepared in the onLoad event. Make sure you have javascript turned on, as well as make sure the page has completely loaded.

If this still fails, open the source of the admin page and search for ‘flickr-ajax.php’ and paste me that entire line. That might help me locate your problem.

Trent.

22. tobi says:

Hey,

I wait until the write panel site has loaded completely (says “Fertig” – german for “Ready” on the firefox status bar) but its still the same. Javascript is turned on and works fine with e.g. the lightbox overlay on some websites or other effects.

With “admin page” you mean the post-new.php? What I find there is:

——

Flickr Manager

Upload Photo
    Browse Photos

Personal

Public

———-

Or which site do you mean?

tnx once again!

tobi

23. tobi,
    I’m so sorry, but I meant ‘flickr-js.php’ not ‘flickr-ajax.php’ there should only be 1 line in the code containing that file name.

And yes, it is post-new.php which will contain the code.

Trent.

24. MP says:

Hey Trent,

I just DL’d and installed the plugin on a 2.3.1 install. It all went ok, activated it and went to set ‘options’. When I click on the ‘Flickr’ button, it sends me to the Flickr tag under ‘Manage’ and then asks me to “Error: Please authenticate through Options->Flickr”

Huh?

Cheers,

MP

25. tobi says:

(link rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” media=”screen” href=”http://www.surfblog.de/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/sociable/sociable-admin.css” /)

(link rel=”stylesheet” href=”http://www.surfblog.de/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-flickr-manager/css/admin_style.css” type=”text/css” /)
    (script type=”text/javascript” src=”http://www.surfblog.de/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-flickr-manager/js/flickr-js.php”)(/scrip)

26. Hey tobi,
    Thanks for your help, I found the bug, I was using your wordpress home variable instead of your wordpress siteurl. Basically, your home page is at a different path to your wordpress folder. I just released 1.3.1, that should fix your problem.

Trent

27. MP,
    Try updating to the latest version and try again.

Upload
    Activate
    Options->Flickr

28. tobi says:

Yeah, now its working. THANK YOU!

29. tobi says:

Hey,

I played around with the plugin a bit and I wonder if it’s possible to let the author select wether the thumbnails that are input into a blog entry are linked to the flickr-site containing the image or to the image directly. Because then I could use a lightbox-overlay with it.

tnx for the great plugin once again!

30. tobi says:

And one more bug that I found on my WP-Installation: After uploading (which works fine!) I get this message:

Warning: set_time_limit() has been disabled for security reasons in /srv/www/htdocs/s001u232/html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-flickr-manager/flickr-operations.php on line 94

But it all works fine?!

31. tobi,
    The images have to be contained within a link to the photo page and not just to the photo. This is stated in the Flickr community guidelines.

set_time_limit has been disabled on your web host, so unfortunately I can’t help you with that.

32. annmolly says:

Hey Trent,
    Great plugin actually but I can’t activate it coz I failed to authorize flickr manager
    message:
    Oops! Flickr can’t find a valid callback URL.
    An external application has requested your login credentials and permission to perform certain actions on your behalf, but has failed to include all the required data.

You don’t really need to know what this means, except that you can’t use the application until this problem is fixed. (It’s a third-party problem, not a Flickr problem.)

33. Hi annmolly,
    When you click authenticate from the ‘Options-Flickr’ page what URL is it sending you to?

It should look something like ‘http://www.flickr.com/services/auth/?api_key=…’

If you could paste it here I’ll try and search for your problem.

Trent.

34. tobi says:

Hey,

ah okay, that’s what I thought. It’s a pity though, because with entries with a lot of pictures I’d prefer the lightbox overlay. But once again, great job!

35. MP says:

Hi Trent,

I scrubbed the last install, DL’d a fresh 1.3.1 and still the same weird loop:

“When I click on the ‘Flickr’ button, it sends me to the Flickr tag under ‘Manage’ and then asks me to “Error: Please authenticate through Options->Flickr”

36. MP,
    What happens when you navigate to {BLOGHOME}/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=wordpress-flickr-manager/flickr-manager-plugin.php

Does it still redirect you to the manage page?

37. MP says:

Hey Trent, I get:

“Cannot load wordpress-flickr-manager/flickr-manager-plugin.php.”

38. MP,

I’m sorry I can’t seem to duplicate your bug regardless of what I try. Try checking your path to your plugin file matches ‘/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-flickr-manager/flickr-manager-plugin.php’ and the file permissions are set to readable by apache or IIS.

Trent.

39. MP says:

Hey Trent.

OK, reinstalled again.

Now the options tab says: “PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init() in E:\Websites\migpilot_root\Bomb_Squad_Industries\wp-content\plugins\wordpress-flickr-manager\flickr-operations.php on line 20 ”

and calling the url in the browser says:

“PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in E:\Websites\migpilot_root\Bomb_Squad_Industries\wp-content\plugins\wordpress-flickr-manager\flickr-manager-plugin.php on line 29 PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function add_action() in E:\Websites\migpilot_root\Bomb_Squad_Industries\wp-content\plugins\wordpress-flickr-manager\flickr-manager-plugin.php on line 33”

Could tis be a CURL issue maybe?

40. OK MP there’s your problem.

You need to install CURL on your web host.

Trent.

41. Sarit says:

42. Hi, a nice feature I would love to see in this plugin would be that it would automatically create an image description underneath the picture with a link to the flickr user and it’s CC license.

Hi Sarit,
    It does for public images, make sure you’re using the latest version 1.3.1

Trent

43. MP says:

Hey Trent,

OK, gets a little weird….

We installed CURL and ran the PI in a different WP site we run. All runs to plan and works great. Really neat plugin!

Went back to where we really want it to work (same server and SQL install), reinstalled WP from the copy that runs the aforementioned install, reinstalled the Flickr PI and guess what? That loop is still going on.

Site: http://www.migpilot.net.

I checked other tabs under’Options’ belonging to plugins and they all work fine. Only the Flickr PI seems not to work and sends me on the odd loop. On mouse over, the url the tab is calling is correct….

Waaaaaaa.

44. MP says:

Success!

Sorta.

The tab is working now, though on clicking it I get “Flickr Options” and nothing else!

Hmmmmm.

45. Hey MP,

Open ‘flickr-manager-plugin.php’ in a text editor after line 317: ‘global $wpdb, $flickr_table;’, on a new line insert “ini_set(‘display_errors’,1);” without the “‘s.

Then try going to the options tab again, and this time it should spit out what ever your problem is.

Edit: http://files.tgardner.net/mp-bugtest.zip replace the file with the one in the zip.

46. MP says:

You are indeed the man!

Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init() in E:\Websites\migpilot_root\Mig_Pilot\wp-content\plugins\wordpress-flickr-manager\flickr-operations.php on line 20″

Curl issue?

47. MP says:

Oh, that wretched loop back to the ‘Manage > Flickr’ tab is back 🙁

48. MP,
    Yes it does seem to be a CURL issue. When you installed CURL did you remember to restart your web server, or at least reload the configuration.

A way of testing that you’ve installed cURL properly is to create a ‘.php’ file which contains

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Then put it in your web directory and navigate to it. Then look on the page for a section called curl. It should say cURL support enabled if you did everything correctly.

49. Hi Trent
    Have you got any plans to enable lightbox or thickbox with this plugin?
    Cheers
    Phil

50. MP says:

Hey Trent,

The server was given a good kick in the pants last night and everything is working great now. The plugin is very, very cool! Nice work, a godsend for me.

Cheers for your work and help.

MP